Friday, March 23, 2012

The Meaning of a Touch

When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. Then he placed his right hand on me and said: "Do not be afraid. I am the First and the Last. I am the Living One; I was dead, and behold I am alive for ever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and Hades.
-- Revelation 1:17-18 NIV

Commoners have difficulty believing royalty would have any interest in their own affairs and or could possibly understand their struggles or sufferings. Commoners are awed by the power and prosperity of royalty. Accordingly, when John sees the one who reign over all peoples, nations, and languages, the one whose thone in heaven is exalted above all others, he falls at his feet as though dead. Then the Son of God does an amazing thing. He reaches out and touches John. He says, "Do not be afraid." While it is true that he is "the First and the Last" and "the Living One," he has also died. He has been born just like we are, lived in poverty just as many of us do, endured unjust accusations and condemnation, felt the pain of cruel punishment, and understood the alienation of death. He has become the Son of Man so that he might sympathize with the sons of men, so he reaches out and touches John. But the touch is more than the touch of sympathy. It is also the touch of power because he who has been killed is now alive forever. Furthermore, he holds the keys of death and Hades. He is willing to use his power on behalf of those he understands and loves.

No comments:

Post a Comment