Thursday, November 10, 2011

Genuine Repentance

Reflections on 2 Samuel 12:13-23
Use the frame on the left to read these Scriptures.

Nathan's rebuke occurred at least nine months after David's sin. Although David was occupied with the final assault on the Ammonites during those nine months, he had not been able to hide from his own guilt. Undoubtedly, his guilt weighed heavily on his heart as when he wrote Psalm 32:3-5a:

When I kept silent,
my bones wasted away
through my groaning all day long.
For day and night
your hand was heavy upon me;
my strength was sapped
as in the heat of summer.
Selah
Then I acknowledged my sin to you
and did not cover up my iniquity.
I said, "I will confess
my transgressions to the LORD"

NO EXCUSES. David was quick to acknowledge his sin and accept full responsibility for it when confronted by Nathan. He said quite simply, "I have sinned against the Lord." He was not like Saul who at first denied his sin (cf. 1 Samuel 15:13, 20) and blamed others (cf. 1 Samuel 15:21). Neither was he like Saul who, even after he reluctantly acknowledging his sin, still excused it (1 Samuel 15:24) and asked to be honored as if there were no shame in his sin (1 Samuel 15:30). David knew he could not hide his shame from God. In Psalm 51:4, he confessed, "Against you, you only, have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight."

FORGIVENESS. In his repentance, David did not desire honor before men but God's mercy, compassion, and forgiveness.

Have mercy on me, O God,
according to your unfailing love;
according to your great compassion
blot out my transgressions.
Wash away all my iniquity
and cleanse me from my sin. - Psalms 51:1-2

FELLOWSHIP. Forgiveness was the means to an even greater desire, that his fellowship with God might be renewed.

Create in me a pure heart, O God,
and renew a steadfast spirit within me.
Do not cast me from your presence
or take your Holy Spirit from me.
Restore to me the joy of your salvation
and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me. - Psalms 51:10-11

FREELY GIVEN. God freely forgave and restored fellowship to the penitent king. Though God did not change the consequences of the sin, David saw the death of the son not as God's refusal to forgive but as evidence of God's faithfulness. If God said he was forgiven and his son would die, and if God kept his word with regard to his son, then he was assured God kept his word with regard to his own forgiveness. He washed and went to worship the Lord. His fellowship with the Lord was restored, and the Lord would sustain him in the troubles he would face.

No comments:

Post a Comment